Volunteer & Employment Opportunities
Available paid positions
Hiring: Program Coordinator
The Program Coordinator will work with the Program Manager and Kids on Bikes general staff to help plan and implement bike programs in order to fulfill the mission of Kids on Bikes. This individual should employ effective management practices and be interested in continually improving the various bike programs. In addition, this person will be engaging and demonstrate the ability to earn respect among students, school administration, parents, community members and volunteers through a combination of energy and dedication to KOB’s mission, passion for excellence, and the ability to add value to the organization. This individual is a self-generator, can work independently, and demonstrates the ability to successfully manage multiple tasks and responsibilities while communicating effectively to all interested parties.
The Program Coordinator is responsible for executing programmatic aspects of the earn-a-bike/Bicycle Library sites and afterschool bike clubs. This person also helps with events, and assists with educational classes for families. In addition, this individual must remain flexible and adaptable in completing varied tasks to support the organization. The Program Coordinator should have strong bicycling skills, solid understanding of bike safety, and know proper road and trail etiquette. This person must have professional and sufficient communication skills and have a passion for working with children. This person should feel comfortable leading group bike rides with kids and families, reinforcing safe riding principals, and develop, lead, and coordinate other aspects of Kids on Bike programming.
- Coordinate with Program Manager and bicycle program location staff as appropriate to ensure logistics for programming have been addressed, adequate equipment is provided, and all necessary program participant paperwork has been received.
- Helping to further develop program curriculum for current and new programs.
- Keep track of hours worked and stay current on communications (email, phone, etc.) as necessary
● Lead or co-lead earn-a-bike/bike club programs at local schools and community centers.
- Co-lead ongoing trainings for bike program ambassadors to further expand programming at schools, organizations, and community centers
- Coordinate the bike fleets going to the schools or community centers and lead hands on biking skills and safety sessions
- Coordinate bikes, helmets, and other accessories that will go to children who earn their bikes
- Supervise volunteers assisting with various programming
- Communicate and work with schools, organizations, and community center staff to execute programs
Bike Safety/Education Clinics
- Assist with family bike education classes on various topics as needed
- Help recruit kids/families as needed
- Assist with planning and execution of annual Great Bicycle Carnival
- Take the lead or assist with other community events as appropriate based on your and KOB staff discretion
Desired Background and Attributes:
Kids on Bikes seeks a leader whose deep dedication to the mission is his or her primary motivation. This person has a compelling and energetic passion for supporting and enhancing KOB. He or she is able to multitask and fulfill various roles to support the organization. This individual thrives in an ever changing environment and enjoys growing and evolving bicycling programs throughout the organizations’ reach of impact. The Program Coordinator must demonstrate an ability to achieve desired results in working closely with the Program Manager and, at times, with other KOB staff. The ideal candidate will have experience in the nonprofit sector and a background in youth development and teaching/coaching with solid cycling experience.
Salary and Benefits:
This is a part-time, seasonal, and hourly position located in Colorado Springs. Hourly rate will start at $11.50 depending on experience. Typical hours will be 2:00pm-5:00pm during April and May, and 9:00am-5:00pm during the summer months with occasional needs at other times and on weekends, averaging approximately 15-20 hours per week. The position will also continue through the winter, but with fewer weekly hours as programs slow down. Paycheck is bi-weekly. There are no additional benefits. Exact start date is flexible, but we are looking for someone to begin in April 2019. Applicants are subject to background check process.
To apply, follow the link below.
Hiring: Bike Mechanic/ Retail Associate
The Bike Mechanic/Retail Associate is a part-time and seasonal position at Kids on Bikes. This person will play a crucial role in maintaining the systems, procedures, and operations to help sustain the Pedal Station. This position reports directly to the Pedal Station Coordinator and will support volunteers and other staff. This position will require work on evenings and weekends and a successful candidate can expect 15-25 hours per week of work. The position will start in April and will end September 2019.
- This is the primary function of this position
- Contribute to a top-notch welcoming and inclusive environment for customers and volunteers
- Answer questions about bike fit, components, and parts with a friendly approach
- Assist with bike donation and parts inventory
- Help to keep the retail space organized and clean
- Help to ensure merchandise is priced and stocked in a timely manner
- Assist customers with check-out as needed
- Provide assistance to Mountain Equipment Recyclers (MER) customers and staff as needed
- Assist the Pedal Station Coordinator and/or Head Mechanic with other retail operations as needed
- Ensure all bikes are in their best functioning form before they are released to the multiple avenues in which bikes go back to the community
- Assist with volunteer hours, open bench hours, and procedures for people to work on bikes
- Maintain a safe and clean environment in all work spaces
- Ideal candidate will have strong mechanical knowledge/ ability to work on all bikes confidently
- Help to maintain the overall bike donation process for the Pedal Station
- Direct bikes to appropriate channel for redistribution, including making scrap runs or re-donating bikes elsewhere
- Contribute to a welcoming and encouraging atmosphere for volunteers to work on bikes
- Assist volunteers as needed
Desired Background and Attributes:
Kids on Bikes seeks a candidate who has a dedication to the Pedal Station goals of growing the cycling community by selling affordable used bikes and contributing to the knowledge base of the community by providing assistance, tools, and space for volunteers to learn about bicycle maintenance. This person is organized, good with tracking details, and a very good verbal and written communicator. This individual must be a self-starter, take initiative, work independently and as part of a team- all while handling multiple tasks in a retail environment. Ideally, this person will have worked in a bike shop or community bike shop with retail and mechanic knowledge and will have experience with point of sale systems. This is a part-time hourly paid position starting at $11.50/hour depending on experience.
Send resume and cover letter to Bryan Sespico, Pedal Station Coordinator, at email@example.com by March 31.
Anticipated start date is April 15th with some flexibility according to need.
Available volunteer positions
Intern Position: Administrative Assistant
The Administrative Assistant will be providing support to the Operations Manager through a variety of tasks. This position is geared toward learning the overall operations in a nonprofit setting. Anticipated an average of 8-10 hours per week. See job description, send resume and cover letter to apply at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Camp Volunteer Coach
Ride with the kids at bike camp this summer. A free youth entry to bike camp is given to any adult who volunteers with us for a full week of camp.
Bike Center Volunteer Mechanic
Come work on bikes at our weekly volunteer nights. You will work alongside others to repair donated kids and adult bikes that will go into youth programs or on our retail floor.
Bike Center Retail Associate
Help at the retail center of the Bike Center. Greet customers, answer questions, stock inventory, etc.
After-School Bike Club Volunteer
2 hours per week riding your bike with elementary school aged kids in an after school bike club setting