Volunteer & Employment Opportunities
Available paid positions
Hiring: Bike Mechanic/ Retail Associate
The Bike Mechanic/Retail Associate is a part-time and seasonal position at Kids on Bikes. This person will play a crucial role in maintaining the systems, procedures, and operations to help sustain the Pedal Station. This position reports directly to the Pedal Station Coordinator and will support volunteers and other staff. This position will require work on evenings and weekends and a successful candidate can expect 15-25 hours per week of work. The position will start in April and will end September 2019.
- This is the primary function of this position
- Contribute to a top-notch welcoming and inclusive environment for customers and volunteers
- Answer questions about bike fit, components, and parts with a friendly approach
- Assist with bike donation and parts inventory
- Help to keep the retail space organized and clean
- Help to ensure merchandise is priced and stocked in a timely manner
- Assist customers with check-out as needed
- Provide assistance to Mountain Equipment Recyclers (MER) customers and staff as needed
- Assist the Pedal Station Coordinator and/or Head Mechanic with other retail operations as needed
- Ensure all bikes are in their best functioning form before they are released to the multiple avenues in which bikes go back to the community
- Assist with volunteer hours, open bench hours, and procedures for people to work on bikes
- Maintain a safe and clean environment in all work spaces
- Ideal candidate will have strong mechanical knowledge/ ability to work on all bikes confidently
- Help to maintain the overall bike donation process for the Pedal Station
- Direct bikes to appropriate channel for redistribution, including making scrap runs or re-donating bikes elsewhere
- Contribute to a welcoming and encouraging atmosphere for volunteers to work on bikes
- Assist volunteers as needed
Desired Background and Attributes:
Kids on Bikes seeks a candidate who has a dedication to the Pedal Station goals of growing the cycling community by selling affordable used bikes and contributing to the knowledge base of the community by providing assistance, tools, and space for volunteers to learn about bicycle maintenance. This person is organized, good with tracking details, and a very good verbal and written communicator. This individual must be a self-starter, take initiative, work independently and as part of a team- all while handling multiple tasks in a retail environment. Ideally, this person will have worked in a bike shop or community bike shop with retail and mechanic knowledge and will have experience with point of sale systems. This is a part-time hourly paid position starting at $11.50/hour depending on experience.
Send resume and cover letter to Bryan Sespico, Pedal Station Coordinator, at email@example.com by March 31.
Anticipated start date is April 15th with some flexibility according to need.
Available volunteer positions
Intern Position: Administrative Assistant
The Administrative Assistant will be providing support to the Operations Manager through a variety of tasks. This position is geared toward learning the overall operations in a nonprofit setting. Anticipated an average of 8-10 hours per week. See job description, send resume and cover letter to apply at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Summer Camp Volunteer Coach
Ride with the kids at bike camp this summer. A free youth entry to bike camp is given to any adult who volunteers with us for a full week of camp.
Bike Center Volunteer Mechanic
Come work on bikes at our weekly volunteer nights. You will work alongside others to repair donated kids and adult bikes that will go into youth programs or on our retail floor.
Bike Center Retail Associate
Help at the retail center of the Bike Center. Greet customers, answer questions, stock inventory, etc.
After-School Bike Club Volunteer
2 hours per week riding your bike with elementary school aged kids in an after school bike club setting