We are in the progress of updating this page. Check out our Facebook page for all events.
- This event has passed.
Bike to School Day 2019
Riding a bike can be a quick, convenient, and most importantly, fun, way to get to school. However, a relatively small number of kids regularly ride to school (~13% nation-wide). National Bike to School Day celebrates students who regularly commute by bicycle, and encourages others to try it for the first time. If you are looking to host a Bike to School Day event, there are a number of possible activities and a wide range of resources to help get you started. Kids on Bikes is currently working with three schools on Bike to School Day activities and we are happy to offer advice or help with planning your event.
Potential Bike to School Day Activities:
- Bike Train – morning group ride from a local destination (usually a park) to school led by parent or teacher volunteers
- Class Competitions – count the number of students in each class who bike or walk to school and award a prize to the winners.
- Bike Education – Include bicycling education in classes during the week leading up to the event or host an after-school “Bike Rodeo”.
- Bike Drive – Is the lack of bike and/or helmet ownership a barrier to biking to school? Consider hosting a bike drive to help distribute bikes to students in need.
- http://www.walkbiketoschool.org/ – Register your event for a chance to win a fleet of bikes or helmets. They also offer guides to plan and promote Bike to School Day for the first time or on short notice.
- National Center for Safe Routes to School – Want to extend efforts beyond Bike to School Day? The National Center for Safe Routes to School can help with implementing year-round education and encouragement programs related to biking and walking. Their Safe Routes Data section provides parent surveys and student travel tallies that can be used to track biking and walking participation over time.
- Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) – The sate department of transportation offers Bike to School Day promotional materials such as posters and stickers. CDOT also administers the Safe Routes to School program in Colorado and awards grants each year.